Each year, millions of Americans face the reality of living with a mental health condition, as 1 in 5 adults in the U.S. will experience a mental health condition in their lifetime. However, everyone is affected or impacted by mental illness through friends and family.
Throughout May, we work to raise awareness for mental health. Each year, we fight stigma, provide support, educate the public and advocate for equal care. Each year, the movement grows stronger.
A Mental Health Celebration
Save the date!
May 26 @ 7 pm
More details coming soon!
Depressed Cake Shop
The Most Delicious Mental Health Awareness Event of the Year
During Mental Health Month, indulge in a sweet treat for mental health! Bakeries and restaurants across Central Texas will be offering Depressed Cake Shop goodies to inspire our community to talk about mental health.
A list of participating bakeries will be available in mid-April.
During Mental Health Month in May join a nationwide effort to increase awareness and encourage mental health conversations in Central Texas.
What is a Depressed Cake Shop?
Depressed Cake Shops are bakeries that participate in creating fun and delicious baked goods to engage people in positive mental health conversations. In 2018, fourteen Austin area bakeries created one (or more) baked goods featuring some element of gray, to represent mental health struggles, and a splash of bright color to reflect hope and healing. The community loved the experience, and bloggers and media found their work worthy of attention.
Getting involved is simple:
- Complete the Depressed Cake Shop interest form and submit by Monday, April 5.
- Design one (or more) Depressed Cake Shop items to sell along with your regular offerings during the month of May.
- Baked goods should utilize a combination of gray and bright colors. Visit our gallery at namicentraltx.org/depressedcakeshop for examples from past participants.
- Display NAMI Central Texas’ materials so your patrons can learn how to talk about mental health and get help if they need it. All materials will be provided.
- Share on social media using: #DepressedCakeShopCTX.
Your business will be included in our PR and social media activities. Create additional buzz by offering a portion of the sales of Depressed Cake Shop items to support NAMI Central Texas’ work in the community.
Contact Christina at [email protected].
2020 Depressed Cake Shop Bakeries
This Mental Health Month, NAMI Central Texas invites you to take a minute a day centered on your mental health. Sign up to receive daily inspiration designed to help you prioritize your mental health throughout May.
What you’ll get:
- A daily email encouraging you to think about your mental health (or that of loved ones)
- Inspiration, facts, tips, ideas and laughs
- Sharable content to encourage others to join you in this mental health journey
We are done for 2020, but you can still view every Mental Health by the Minute prompt!
Mental Health by the Minute
Daily one-minute mental health prompts straight to your inbox
Our Mental Health by the Minute prompts are done for 2020, but you can still use view and share all the great content!