NAMI Central Texas strives to be a catalyst for positive change in how our community, government, law enforcement, schools and healthcare systems respond to an individual with a mental illness and his or her family. We collaborate with our national and state organizations to maximize our capacity for creating change both locally and nationally.
Our staff and members represent NAMI Central Texas on numerous coalitions that advocate for mental health in our community, including:
- Austin Area African American Behavioral Health Network
- Austin Latinx Chicanx Behavioral Health Network
- Austin State Hospital Brain Health System Redesign Steering Committee
- East Williamson County Collaboration
- ECHO - Ending Community Homelessness Coalition
- Kids Living Well
- Psychiatric Stakeholders Group
- Resilient Bastrop Initiative
- Travis County Behavioral Health and Criminal Justice Advisory Committee
- Williamson County Behavioral Health Task Force
- Williamson County Child & Youth Task Force
You have an opportunity to educate your lawmakers. The two most important things you can do is tell your story and leave written materials.
87th Texas Legislature
NAMI Central Texas is supporting the Public Policy Platform developed by NAMI Texas, which advocates for the growth and improvement of mental health care in Texas by strengthening the continuum of care. This includes:
- Improving system capacity for youth and adults
- Investing in prevention and education on mental health issues
- Ensuring insurance coverage for necessary mental health care
- Integrating mental health services into a variety of settings
- Promoting innovative strategies to treating mental health disorders
Read the detailed 2021-2022 Platform here.
Become a mental health advocate
Join the Advocacy Committee
Help support NAMI's legislative agenda and train others to have a voice with Advocacy Committee. Committee meetings held on a monthly basis.
Contact Eric at [email protected] for more details.
Get advocacy alerts
Newsletter subscribers regularly receive urgent advocacy alerts. Sign up to stay tuned in to local and national mental health advocacy opportunities.