What You Will Gain
A toolkit of information:
- Up-to-date information on a range of mental illnesses and their impact on the brain.
- Current research on treatments including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects.
- Preparation for interactions with the mental health care system, school system and juvenile justice system.
Training in preparedness and emotional resiliency:
- Skills related to managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively.
- Strategies for self-care and for navigating the challenges presented by mental illness for each family member.
- Empowerment as an effective advocate for your child.
- Confidence and stamina for life-long understanding and support.
Why You Should Attend
As a participant you can gain comfort in knowing you are not alone. Recovery is a journey and there is hope for all families and individuals dealing with a behavioral or mental health issue. The in-person group experience of NAMI Basics provides the opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences.
No formal diagnosis is required for a parent or guardian to take the Basics class.